Oh, last thing... beyond a review of these six movies, I'm calling out to whoever reads this to watch them because if you haven't seen some or all of these, you are so so lucky to be able to watch them with fresh eyes.
Chocolate covered pretzels & popcorn.
It's a fever dream about Old Hollywood, messy and chaotic. Margot Robbie and Diego Clava are the faces of the movie and there's this push-and-pull tension between them and between fame and love. You'll watch this and thank me later because it is so fun.
There is no 'polite' way to eat this snack, and there's no 'polite' way of watching Babylon either to be honest. The movie is just so... raw and transparent. So I turned this on at around 2-3AM a longg time ago—basically running on fumes, no snack, no drink, no nothing and boy did it have me HOOKED. Definitely not stimulating in an intellectual way but in a better way: the satisfied way.I usually opt out of films with a runtime over two hours... this one is three hours long! It's like when you have a bucket of popcorn and you are so lost in the moment that you forget that it's even there and you keep munching and munching until Knock, your fingers meet the bottom. The verdict: it didn't feel like three hours (coming from a person with a not-so-amazing attention span). If I could watch it for the first time again, I'd make a bucket of super buttery popcorn and toss in chocolate covered pretzels into the mix. Messy snack meets messy movie? LOL.
Heart of palm & cottage cheese with mustard. (homage to the viral Tiffany Plate)
1. The unconventional love story. (Must I say more?)2. The aesthetic value.3. The characters who are complex AND like-able.4. Most people don't understand why.
Pepper-crusted salami & saltine crackers.
What's better than a young criminal and his partner in crime having unspoken tension? Nothing!
This one was a recent watch. Wasn't given five stars but I've been thinking about it all week. Let's talk about it! El Angel is one of those movies that's meant to address something and it does since it's based on a true story. But this was sooo hot. Rarely do I call anything hot, but that might be the word. Hot.In the entire plot, Carlitos is this daring boy who takes impulsive risks alongside his partner, Ramón. And though it's not the main point of the story, there's this intense sexual tension between the two and no I am not looking too deep into it. A review I saw called it the Spanish 'Call Me by Your Name'.
Lorenzo Ferro (he played Carlitos) is honestly a big reason why I am still thinking about the movie days later. All I can say is he is amazing in it, and is so captivating to watch. Aside from that, it's interesting to know that all the events happened in real life—maybe less exaggerated but... it still happened.
Heart-shaped hot chocolate bomb.
I know. I know. If you know this man, I know what you're thinking. But I resonate with this movie in a different way. Yes it's Stockholm syndrome but that's just the outer shell. Beyond that, it's about childhood trauma and the aftermath of abuse. For those who don't know Gallo, he's a bad man in real life, in a nutshell.
The first time I watched this, I fell in love with the style. The random but fitting collages that appeared, the experimental styles here and there. The colors! Oh, it's so good. A horror movie for some women out there, but there's something that makes me fold every time: an unconventional love story (be prepared to see this phrase a lot).
I chose hot chocolate because it's relevant to the plot and reveals parts of the characters like Billy Brown (the man in the photo who is also played by Vincent Gallo). Hot chocolate, heart cookies, football, ballet, the Buffalo Bills, revenge, all of it. So... if you plan to watch this, I'll just say, don't take it as what it is right away.
Four olives on a stick.
Here is another one starring James Spader, his second-best film I'd say. My first watch was slow but the moment I hit the last scene, I was then in that moment, emotionally attached to the premise of the story. Beautifully simple, but it's so heavy and brilliant. There is the word "sex" in the title, but it's actually everything but sex. Sure there are those scenes, but the physicality of it is a red herring.
Three words to describe this movie: quiet, intimate, honest.
I would want anyone to watch it just for the last scene. It's a scene I am obsessed with because it essentially sums the whole story. And can I add that the music made for it is literally magical? I will be honest though, it's not like Babylon or like any of the other movies on this list. I will say this one stands out the most.
Four olives, one for each character. And perhaps a sprinkle of salt for the drama. This one is all vibes, you just have to absorb it to know.
Pizza rolls straight from the microwave.
We're on the last one here. And can you guess? It's another unconventional love story but GenZ-ed in the best way. The love story on this list not from what seems like a billion years ago but still on the same level of Oh-My-Gosh-I love-it... I came across this movie on TikTok from a song called "Watermelon" with the lyrics:
I'm a watermelon slammed into your driveway
Crack me open so I feel the air inside meLike a tongue, tongueIn my eardrum, dum-dumMusic boyfriend I'm your yum-yumCall me and I'll come
It was the best decision because I've already seen it more than once and it's the sweetest storyline ever. The way they meet... ughhh, so romantic yet funny. They are a microwaved couple. Absolutely adorable and might I add, grungy as hell.
_SD.jpg)
Cool
ReplyDelete